In the Mood for Bonnie Raitt


I have always loved Bonnie Raitt. I first saw her on the concert movie “No Nukes,” which was one of the first movies I saw as a kid. I was still in shorts at that time. I saw her perform “Angel from Montgomery” and man I was lost.
I wanted badly to have the album of the concert, so I saved up on my allowance, and I think it took me about a week to finally come up with enough to buy me a cassette tape of that concert. Well, it turned out “No Nukes” was on two volumes (this was before the DVD era), so I still came up short. Finally I got enough money and a happier kid in Sampaloc, Manila you couldn’t find.
Then high school and college and other things came along and I sort of forgot about Bonnie. Well, not entirely.
Anyway, a month ago I got a John Lee Hooker album (another boyhood favorite; yes, I was already a strange banana even as a kid, surprise) and I was listening and there was John Lee Hooker jamming with Bonnie Raitt.  They were doing “I'm in the Mood,” and holy crap, I thought I died and gone to blues heaven.
Afterwards, I did what any man would do in this situation: search for it on YouTube. Found and watched it, then clicked on Bonne Raitt’s version of “Love Me Like a Man,” which I liked so much I posted it on Facebook. I also searched for “Angel from Montgomery.”

And so that was the day I spent a whole afternoon listening to ten (or so) different versions of “Angel from Montgomery,” including Kristen Stewart’s from the movie “Into the Wild,” which isn't bad.
Ain’t the Internet great.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Square Cube Law and How It Killed Giants

Where Did Money Come From, Anyway?

Dog of War

Can We Be Good For Nothing?